COVID-19: M&A Trends and Opportunistic Dealmaking
June 17, 2020 | 12:00pm EST
As COVID-19 continues to change the economic landscape in Canada and around the world, companies are revaluating their M&A strategies as the competitive landscape changes and new opportunities open up. As companies shift their focus to successfully navigate the crisis, critical legal issues such as access to capital, proper due diligence, regulatory considerations and negotiating skills are vital for a positive outcome. What sectors are ripe for dealmaking as we progress through the pandemic? What are the critical issues organizations need to consider as they assess opportunities in this uncertain environment? How should organizations respond if approached or become a target?
- Overview of industry and sector M&A activity
- Changing conditions and impact on ongoing transactions – renegotiating provisions
- Acquiring financing and covenant considerations
- Challenges of conducting effective due diligence in a pandemic environment
- How might shareholder activism impact M&A opportunities?
- What impact will changing government regulations have on M&A activities?
- Revising your M&A strategy – key considerations for organizations